Sunday, June 27, 2004

One week down...

Well... I have to admit I was as burnt out as I have ever been going into this cycle. I don't know exactly why, although I could point to a lot of things that have nothing to do with soldiers-maybe it's as simple as time spent doing the same thing, I don't know.

The first week is over and I swear I have never felt better about a group of soldiers. I worked 90 hours since Tuesday, and yes I amm tired, but I'm as fired up as I've ever been. Of course that will go up and down as we go on, but I really do have the best job in the world.

Anybody who ever tells me this generation won't amount to anything, I'm going to punch in the face.

It's a privilege to train these young men and women. Yeah... they're all confused, ignorant knuckleheads right now... but if they remain that way, it will be my fault, not theirs.

I am spending the summer (next two cycles I think) working in Echo Company, which is the additional company we set up from scratch to accomodate the "summer surge". I don't have quite the same feeling of people looking over my shoulder all the time, so maybe that's why I am so optimistic about this bunch.

Since we are starting from scratch, I had teh opportunity to let the soldiers decide what teh name of their platoon would be. (Each platoon has a motto or whatever, like bushmasters... vipers... wolfpack... wahtever.) I let them comeup with suggestions and then vote... but I made a suggestion first and amazingly enough over half voted for mine lol.

We are the mighty... mighty... WAR PIGS!
(laughing my freakin ass off)

I have loved that name since I saw it on the wall in one of the platoon barracks in 1-21 years ago lol. An Infantry line unit can easily pull off a name like that, but I had questions about whether this bunch had the balls for it. Hell yes they do.

ASide from the Black Sabbath connotations... it's a name that is easy to make fun of. But honestly, if you've ever heard the song called "a boy named Sue" you'll understand why that's not really a bad thing. And they already take a perverse pride in it even if they don't understand it yet lol.

Anyway, everything is going according to plan (Mwah hah ha ha) and I'll keep updating when I get a chance. Gotta go to church and then head back to work after that. I got a few hours off today before we hit it hard for next week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home