Thursday, July 01, 2004

Advice from the top of my head...

My name is Jake V, Im 15 and im interested in joining the army
when im
old enough. I was wondering if you could tell me what I should be doing
mentally and physically to prepare for the army. Any information you
can give me I'd
appreciate a lot thanks.


I was going to put this off for another day, but it deserves an answer and it goes along with what I'm trying to reinforce in my platoon right now.

At 15, you have several years to prepare for BCT. You obviously will be better prepared if you are in better physical shape. My best advice as far as that goes would be simply to get outside and have fun. Compete. Play sports. If you aren't good at sports it's twice as important that you play. Get used to the idea that some things come naturally, but most have to be worked for. This will help prepare you both mentally and physically for the rigors of military life.

The soldiers who enter service having played some kind of sports are vastly more ready than those who spent their high school years in front of a TV or computer. I'm not saying you can't do those also, but have some balance in your life and spend some time playing HARD at something... even if it is not a traditional school sport. Martial arts, skateboarding, hiking, rock climbing, whatever.

Most importantly, start to prepare yourself mentally. Military service will require a level of maturity that working as a fry cook will not. There are plenty of people who fall short in this respect... but your BCT experience will be much more enjoyable if you have a certain stability about you that some 18 year olds do not.

Nothing will be given to you. You will earn what you get. You will get what you earn. You will be responsible for more than just yourself.

Stay away from drugs and crime. I know some people who thought they were going to join the military and then could not because they made bad decisions before they enlisted.

Get a copy of the Army Values and start thinking about them a little bit. Nothing drastic... just start thinking about who you want to be when you become a man. (or woman)

Loyalty, Duty, Respect, Selfless Service, Honor, Integrity, Personal Courage.

Every day we wake up and decide who we are. Every day is new and the past can only hold you back if you let it.

Expect more from yourself than you do from everyone else. Be the best... and if you lose at something (sports for instance), do it graciously. Then try harder next time and kick their ass.

Prepare... There's never been a championship football team who didn't spend the off season training their hearts out.

Find a role model... I have several. My Dad, my Grandpa, my Father-in-law...and several NCOs who taught me what it means to really care about soldiers and be a raging hardass at the same time lol. (give them what they need... not what they want)

Stand up for what you believe in. But if you find yourself on the wrong side of something, be man enough to admit it.

Keep your Integrity, it's something nobody can take from you. But too many people give it away cheaply. Don't lie about anything. If you fuck up... stand up, be a man, and take the consequences. Then drive on and don't make the same mistake twice

Never take the side of cruelty or injustice.

Always choose the hard Right over the easy Wrong.

And never give up.

...ever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home