Friday, December 31, 2004

Happy New Year...

DS Rob: "I don't need any stupid expensive motocross boots. An old pair of Army boots will be just fine."

(2 weeks later)

PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! "AAAArgh!!"

(This is the sound it makes when you lay the bike over in sand, slightly sprain your ankle, and fry a 4x8 inch section of your calf on the hot motor)

(2 days later)

Cycle shop clerk: "That'll be 129.99 please."

DS Rob: "Noooooo problem"

(Shmangy is having an apoplectic fit right now... I could have bought 25 homeless orphans a happy meal with that money.)

--------------------------------------------------

We went and rode today. It rocked. It's about an hour and a half away, but there are still sections of the trail we haven't seen yet. I don't have a whole lot to judge it by, since I'm practically a beginner at riding on dirt, but I can't imagine a much better track for me and James to start riding on. He didn't have too much trouble. He laid it over a few times, but mostly because he was going too slow lol. He did well for the most part.

When we got back he was pretty wore out, but I went out and did a short section of the trail by myself at a substantially higher speed. I didn't do too bad. I almost lost it once in some ruts on a turn, but pulled it off. If anybody out there is really good at riding motocross or enduros and has any advice, I'm all ears. I have a lot of experience riding street bikes, I used to have a Yamaha Virago (I called it the Hardly Davidson), but I haven't ridden nearly as much on dirt bikes. A little here and there, but not a whole lot.

[NOTE:Shmangy = other side of a small conflict on the xanga site]

By the way, I need to thank Shmangy (no really... I'm being serious). He got me to thinking about some things that might turn out to be a pretty good article. It might or might not be something I would try to get published, I'll have to see how it turns out first. (It's not really about our argument, he just sent my train of thought in a new direction.)

Open question... If I post something here how does that affect trying to get it published? I assume I still hold all copyrights, but would a publication pay for something that was already posted on the internet? Anybody who knows anything about the subject, let me know. I'm not really too concerned with getting paid for it, although that would be cool too. I would just like to see it get distributed widely if it turns out as well as I think it will.

Anyway...

Oh yeah. Remember the "to be continued" about the HUMONGOUS buck I saw a few days ago? Well, here goes...

Nada. No deer. Next year.

Season is over tomorrow, and we're going riding again, so that's it. I have almost as much meat in the freezer as I wanted, so no big loss. If I get a chance though, I'm gonna do some serious scouting before this next season. I've never tried to pattern an individual deer, so it should be interesting.

I didn't get a chance to count points, but his rack was BIG. If it is the same deer that people have talked about seeing for a few years though, they say it's an 11 point. I don't know if it is the same one, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was. I also wouldn't be surprised if it was just a really big 8 point or something. I'm notoriously bad at judging deer after all. (see the post about little bitty doe)

I found a few tracks though that were 2 1/2 to 3 inches across. BIG. So I can't be too far off.

-------------------------------------------------

Anyway, Happy New Year everyone. 2004 was way too exciting. Maybe we'll have a nice boring year for 2005. I doubt it, but we can always hope.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home