Saturday, October 02, 2004

Drivel...

Forget everything else...

My goal for this cycle is now to figure out the rhythm I need to call "Folsom Prison Blues" as a running cadence.

I called it once and the Privates liked it... but I can make it better.

Oh yeah...

and have 5 experts in my platoon...

Oh yeah...

and 100% pass the PT test the first time...

but Folsom Prison Blues as a running cadence is a high priority.



The PVTs are actually doing very well. They shoot RM7 and 8 on Monday and Qualify on Thursday. They're shooting well so far. Better than the War Pigs were at this point last cycle... but that isn't saying much lol.

One Drill from each platoon is going to pick up a weapon from a PVT and qualify before RM9. It's a competition between the Drills but also a confidence booster for the soldiers if we can pick up a weapon we didn't zero and qualify with it. I will win of course :) The real challenge will be to shoot expert. Anyway, the worst loser has to buy the winners lunch, so that'll be worthwhile.

I watched the debate the other day. Since it really hasn't been analyzed by anyone yet (dripping sarcasm) here's my take on it...

President Bush is not a great public speaker. He is adequate at best, but his strong point is not his style or technique, but his sincerity. It almost does my heart good to see a President stumble a little as he tells you what he really believes. There are entirely too many smooth operaters in politics who could sell snow to eskimos and probably wouldn't hesitate to do so.

Kerry on the other hand is a Master Debater. He is a well oiled verbal machine. He rarely makes a mistake in a straight one on one debate. He does all the research he needs to do to sound bite the President to pieces... and I really couldn't care less. He comes across as condescending and prideful and I've had enough of that.

Overall, as a lot of the analysts have already said, Kerry probably did win on "points" but I don't think he really changed anyone's mind about anything.

I did think it was odd that he would take a position favoring bilateral talks with North Korea as opposed to the Presidents six party position. After all his talk about coalitions and alliances and approval and what a world player he was, I would expect Kerry to jump at the chance to agree with the President on that one point in order to emphasize his differences elsewhere. You'll notice that I work with the assumption that Kerry doesn't really hold a strong position one way or the other, but only wants to score votes. You never know, I guess he could have some real reason for feeling that way. I'm at a loss trying to figure out what it might be though.

Blah...

I just want the election to be over with so we can get back to business. Screw the election year politics. It's a distraction from the things that are really important. We would be better served rolling all the campaign costs into some of the programs that people complain about not being funded enough. If people will spend millions of dollars trying to elect their choice of president, why not just toss that money into education or medical research? Of course, if by some chance the President isn't reelected (God forbid), I will probably wish someone had spent more lol.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home