Tuesday, March 30, 2004

There and Back Again...

Well… I’m back from Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. I can understand why people go there, but I really prefer somewhere less commercialized. Don’t get me wrong, it is a great place to take the family. It has just enough of everything to accommodate everyone in the family. Fishing and hiking, theme parks and shows, tons of wildlife, and plenty of shopping for mom. If anyone is thinking about going, it is well worth it. If you don’t like to camp you can do what we did the first time we went and rent a REALLY nice cabin for a few nights. Price changes weekly, and sometimes daily, according to demand, so if you don’t go at one of the peak times it can be pretty affordable. The cabins are amazingly nice, with hot tubs and saunas, pool tables, washers and dryers, basically everything but food.

But this time we were meeting my parents, so we stayed in their kickass RV. They have one of the fifth wheel types with the expanding sides and full kitchen and everything. Really roughing it if you know what I mean. I remember camping as a kid with a tent and some lawn chairs, cooking “hobo stew” in tin cans lol. Hell, I didn’t know the difference. It was every bit as fun, if not more so. My family still camps in a tent every once in a while, but when part of your job description is sleeping on the ground under the stars it loses some, but only some, of it’s charm.

Today was my daughters fifth birthday. How the heck did that happen? Five years?!? We had a party for her, and it went off with only one hitch. Thanks to MY Grandma, there is now photographic evidence in existence of me wearing a Barbie party hat. I now understand the temptation my buddies must feel sometimes over in Iraq to grab some reporter’s camera and smash it with a rock. Fortunately I was able to resist the evil urge, but now I have to explain to Grandma what OPSEC means. We can’t have any photos of Drill Sergeants in pointy pink hats floating around. It could have a catastrophic effect on recruitment efforts.

Anyway, if I don’t write anything else for a couple of days, I’m either fishing or desperately trying to get my golf game back out of the cellar.

…out

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home