Wednesday, August 17, 2005

On assignment to...

FORT CARSON!

Well, I'm in a new company now. The situation is better now. I hated to leave my old company but it was for the best. Enough said.

It looks like I actually might have gotten the assignment I wanted. I don't want to get too excited because I'm afraid I'll jinx myself, but the assignments guy at Branch told me I was locked in and gave me a report date to Ft Carson, CO in January. I'll be going to 4th Infantry Division. I'll be MECHANIZED. I don't know whether that's gonna be good or bad but I expect it'll be a little of both like most big changes. I've always been in Light Infantry units and been assigned as Heavy Weapons/Anti-Armor Infantry, so no matter what it'll be a whole new world. I'll be on a Bradley instead of a Hummvee from now on. I've got a lot to learn about the equipment but the basic duties of a PSG shouldn't change that much.

It'll be cool to be mech, but mainly I wanted to be in Colorado so that I'll be near my family for once, and when I deploy my wife and kids will have them nearby also. Then there's also the hunting and fishing. Actually there are a million reasons why I wanted this assignment. (None of them involve the Denver Broncos though)

I think when I leave Fort Jackson, I'll probably shut down the blogs. I might start a new one, but probably not. I don't know. I probably will, just to stay in practice... who knows. Regardless, I've slacked off a lot on updating this one. I hardly ever write anything long or serious any more. If I had more time to do that maybe I would be more excited about it. Maybe I'll just consolidate the best posts or something and catalogue anything that would be helpful to new Drills or Soldiers.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, you are going right to Iraq.:eek The whole 4th is gearing up to go. And branch told us we were locked in for Fort Knox. Notice we are in Ft Benning.;)

11:16 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

/ignore Bronco comment

You will love Colorado and your coming at the best time of year...fall and hunting season.
No bugs, no extreme weather (very often) and sunny days.
Welcome to the holy land!

3:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Major Congratulations on your new assignment!!! I'm so glad you are finally going to be moving on to something new. I know from reading you a while that the current assignment was getting old. (can I do understatement or what!) I hope you have a fabulous time and your wife and kids enjoy being closer to family - especially if you end up being deployed. I know it's a bit selfish, but I really hope you continue to blog - especially if you do go to Iraq... I know everyone who reads you will want to be sure you're doing okay. Hope all the Leezards are doing well.

6:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mech INF. Welcome to the wonderful land of too much maintenance . My old home back in the 5th I.D. I think you'll love it AND it can preserve the arches in your feet for a few more years . I shall never forget the feeling of the humid yet somehow dusty air blasting my face in a convoy as the cammo and the dirt combine to make muddy tears that stream around my ruddy cheeks and into my ears as the sun rises through the pines and the mosquitos attempt to keep pace . Wait until you do table 8 with a bushmaster . Awesome!! Jim should be home before you leave . Perhaps another rendezvous ?

6:38 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Rats, you're leaving Jackson and we're headed there! Good luck at Carson...

Sarah
tryingtogrok.com

3:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the new assignment. Mech is not as much fun as jumping from airplanes, but the armor is nice. I had the honor of being in the first Bradley. It wasn't called a Bradley then, it was called a MICV (mechanized infantry combat vehicle). It was wooden and had yellow lines drawn on it to show where the water would flow when you swam the vehicle. The yellow lines turned out to be "wishes, lies, and dreams", because the first time we tried to swim the things, they sunk like fire plugs. When I left Ft. Benning, I think that there were still a couple of MICV's on the bottom of Victory Pond. Anyway, now that 30 years have passed, I think they have the bugs worked out of them. Enjoy you new job and stay safe.

JD

9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've enjoyed your writing for the last two years. Please continue to blog!

8:54 PM  
Blogger Chevy Rose said...

Yes, please continue this blog, even if it's just a pop-in to say "all is fine".
Congrats on new duty station also.

11:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home