Monday, November 21, 2005

Not my first choice...

"Ouch! Ribs just hurt. I guess all this hand-to-hand stuff helps some appreciate weapons all the more."

I was just explaining this to my soldiers the other day. They know I love the unarmed combat training. I had to explain that I do it for fun right now but I never ever ever want to have to go hand to hand in combat. If that happens, something has gone very wrong somewhere. My first choice would be artillery or mortars, then .50 cal or Mark 19, then TOW, then AT4, then M4, then 9mm, then a big stick, then a heavy rock, then a good long knife, then a broken beer bottle, then a roll of quarters, then my car keys, then the ol' sand in the eyes trick, then I would have to throw my kevlar at them like the PSG on Saving Private Ryan, then, and ONLY then, would I go unarmed combat on that ass.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was taught that the best place to shoot the enemy was in the back ; That way he never saw you coming !

8:15 PM  
Blogger Smoke Eater said...

First, if you must shoot someone in the back (and you're not a sniper), that's just "not right", but if it must be done it must, such as if the enemy is running for another gun, or a bomb, or whatever, but if they are fleeing, go for the leg, that way you can keep them alive, but not let them back to their unit, right Sarge?

Second, I'm with you here. I joke often that "I need a good fight" to let off steam, but not really, I prefer NOT to go hand to hand, if I can avoid it. Good to hear from you again Sarge, and HAPPY THANKSGIVING and MERRY CHRISTMAS!

12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home