Friday, September 01, 2006

getting close...

Three times I’ve tried to write something about what I’m feeling as we get ready to deploy to probably the most dangerous city on Earth. It’s not going to work. Writing, as I do it, requires too much honesty and I would rather not think about what’s going to happen in the future. I know that when it actually takes place I will have to set my emotions aside and focus on the mission and what’s best for the Platoon. Crawling around inside my own head right now though just doesn’t seem like a good idea. I have this image of my own psyche frantically waving me off with a big sign that says “GO AWAY! DANGER! MISSION FIRST! CLOSED FOR BUSINESS… BACK IN ONE YEAR”

So anyway…

We’re ready to go and my Soldiers are as prepared as I can make them. I have the best platoon I could ask for. My chain of command, all the way up, is outstanding. We are the best company in the battalion, and the best battalion in the brigade. We are expecting a fight, and I’m sure Haj won’t let us down, but it’s not as grim as it sounds.

Maybe I’ll write some more before I go, but it’s been kind of fruitless so far. Maybe I’m just out of practice. I’m sure that’s at least part of it.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Take care of your soldiers and yourself. Good luck and God Bless! Stay safe. Thank you for doing it again.

7:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My son just got home. He is with the 101st. All I can say was it was a long year so my heart and prayers go out to you. Thank you for serving your country and keeping my family safe. I will continue to pray for all our troops and their families. You guys are the best! Love from an Army mom.

9:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you're off soon. I know you guys will kick ass over there. I know it will be a long year. We'll all be praying for you and your platoon.

Please post whenever you can and let us know how you're doing.

10:26 PM  
Blogger Craig said...

weird, in war, (even though this isn't really a "war"), when you kill someone it somehow seems justified.....however, if you do the exact same thing (execution) over here (U.S.) you are charged with murder.. We really need to change our laws!!!!!!!

6:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home