Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Big Day...

Tomorrow is my last day as a United States Army Drill Sergeant.

I wish I could say that the time flew by, but that would be a load of crap. It was long, slow, and painful. It was worth it, I am glad I did it, and I even had a lot of fun sometimes... but it's time for someone else to have all the fun for awhile. One of the best parts is going to be getting rid of that big ass hat.

(Beavis: "Huhhuhhhhuuhhhh...huhhhhuhhhuuuhhuhhh... he said asshat.")

If you've ever wondered what it actually feels like to wear one, go cut the top out of a big coffee can and wear it around for about 18 hours straight.

Tomorrow is also my last day as a Staff Sergeant. My number finally hit, so tomorrow I will pin on another rocker. In the short term it doesnt change anything. My time is almost up here at Jackson and the job isnt all that different for an E6 or E7 as a Drill Sergeant. In the big picture, it's a pretty big deal though.

I also start clearing Post tomorrow. This means that I start tidying up all the loose ends and paperwork that has to be taken care of before I leave for Fort Carson.

Oh yeah, tomorrow is also the first day that I will start wearing the new ACUs. It's kind of a shame, because I still have a set of BDUs in the cleaners, but oh well.

All in all, I guess tomorrow should be a pretty memorable day.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trust me brother, you will look back at your days on the trail for many years to come and say they were the best in your career. I couldn't wait to move on, but damn I miss it! Good luck in your new assignment and keep on blogging.

11:16 AM  
Blogger ChargeOfQuarters said...

Congratulations, Sergeant!!

Notice I didn't say, "Drill Sergeant"?

Again, good job on both your training our future crop of American Fighting Men, and your promotion.

Stu Clark
CPL, USA (former)

4:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Your last day as a drill sergeant, a promotion AND a new uniform!! (salute)

Thanks for your service and best of luck at Ft. Carson. (P.S. be sure to keep the big iguanas/reptiles warm in the chilly mountains of Colorado! Brrrr!)

Safe journeys!

Robin in Ohio

6:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

7:09 PM  
Blogger broadcastmike said...

dude, congrats, and enjoy your time off the trail. It is exactly as you described it to me, now that I have one full cycle down and sooooo many to go. I'm on cycle break 'til January 12th. Once you hit ANCOC let me know, I'm buying. Keep writing, even if it's just for yourself.

broadcastmike

8:51 PM  
Blogger Smoke Eater said...

Sarge, CONGRATULATIONS! Even though I've never served, friends of mine have told of the anticipation that precedes a new assignment and waiting on a promotion, but you've earned a rest from the inspiring of young soldiers. God Bless and if you're ever in DFW, look me up, first round is on me!

9:30 PM  
Blogger StoicMom said...

Congratulations Sarge. Your website kept me sane this time last year when my young soldier was at Fort Jackson. Your posts were a Godsend even though they scared the daylights out of me but at least I had an idea of what my son was going through. Thanks for all the info and for your service. Keep writing and good luck at Fort Carson. Maybe my soldier will follow you there when he leaves Korea.

9:55 PM  
Blogger Grim said...

Congrats, sarge.

12:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Sergeant! That is so cool - everything coming together at once is terrific. When you remember the hat... just remember all the fun you had scaring those guys with it. *grin* almost makes it worth it to wear the thing doesn't it.

4:52 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Congrats Sergeant. You earned it. I don't know about the Army but making it to E7 from E6 is a big deal for us Navy Folks...course we get to be called Chief, which is cool.
Thank you for training soldiers and for putting up with so much Shite. I salute you.

11:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congradulations on the promotion and WELCOME to COLORADO! Be sure and have plenty of lotion ready for the dry weather here it will get to your skin real fast. Drink plenty of water (but from my kids "2 Army & 1 Air Force" that's what the military says all the time anyway)it also helps keep the wrinkles away. Look forward to hearing what you think of the new place. I've enjoyed your posts!
Mom of Three Serving our country at Ft. Hood Texas, SHAPE in Belgium, and Gunter Annex Maxwell Air Force Base Alabama.

4:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on earning the freedom from being a Drill Sergeant, and on your promotion Sergeant. I had the opportunity to attend postal school with a Drill Sergeant and got the privilege of going to Her hat removal ceremony (although it didn't envolve removing of her hat at all), but she told me that was probably the happiest day of her life.

PV2 Grossett
USAR 751st Postal

4:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home